Hakuna Matata – Anecdote

“Hakuna Matata”

It means no worries. These two words are words that I would hear constantly over and over when I was a little girl in preschool. I was always really close with my parents and grandparents, and before preschool I couldn’t really think back to a time where I was left without them. That is why on the very first day of school when my parents came to drop me off I was terrified and was scared to be without them. I was a quiet kid, so I just looked into my parents eyes with watery eyes that were about to tear upĀ  I just ran to my mom and hugged her and I didn’t want to let go of her. I wanted to stay with them. So my dad knelt down so he could be at around the same height as me and he whispered into my ears, “Hakuna Matata.”

The Lion King was one of my favourite movies at the time and I remember I would wake up really early in the morning and make my dad watch it with me. This is where he got the word “Hakuna Matata” from. Everyday he would drop me off to school and the same thing would happen. He would whisper into my ears again. Whenever I was afraid or worried I would hear the words again. They were stuck to me.

Now as I look back, I realise more of the meaning to “Hakuna Matata”. It means no worries but also much more. It means to find inner peace within myself and not to stress over the smallest things. Now whenever I start worrying too much I think back to the days when my dad would whisper “Hakuna Matata” and I feel peace and calmness around me.

Image result for hakuna matata written in sunsethttps://www.lolwe.tv/entertainment/hakuna-matata-unlikely-trademarked-phrases/

2 thoughts on “Hakuna Matata – Anecdote

1. Dear Zuha,

This was a wonderful piece and I quite enjoyed reading it and learning about you through an experience of yours in the past. I especially liked how you opened with the like “Hakuna Matata” centered as so to frame the rest of the work. Also, I appreciated your analysis of the words at the end.
    For you to improve, there are some spelling mistakes, and also the length should be increased.
    I enjoyed reading this piece very much and I found it very calming and comforting to read. I look forward to more from you.

Zaid

1. Dear Zaid,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my piece, providing feedback, and commenting on it. I appreciate the feedback and agree with you, so next time I can improve on my writing.
      Thank you, once again!

Sincerely, Zuha